Monday, October 24, 2005

OFF TO THAILAND

Life takes us to unexpected places at unexpected times, proof of which is the fact that I'll be flying into Bangkok, Thailand tomorrow morning for a week to ten days, depending on how long my rather-ill friend's surgery goes. (Let's just say that hospitals in Cambodia, even the good foreign clinics that do exist, are not equipped to handle major surgery.)

I've never been to Thailand (other than the airport), despite its proximity to Cambodia, and these are not exactly the conditions under which I wanted to visit it, but so it goes. The writer Kurt Vonnegut, Jr., always quotes his brother's philosophy of life: "We are here to help each other get through this thing, whatever it is." And this is one of those times.

Expect sporadic updates for the next week, but I'll try to write from Bangkok with a taste or two of urban Thai life.

8 comments:

Anonymous said...

Just thought I'd let you know about a site where you can make over $800 a month in extra income. Go to this site   MAKE MONEY NOW  and put in your zip code..... up will pop several places where you can get paid to secret shop, take surveys, etc.  It's free.  I found several and I live in a small town!

Jim said...

Hoping all goes well with your
friend's surgery.

Christa said...

Wishing the best for your friend's surgery. They are lucky to have you be there during what must be a difficult time. I am hoping your trip is uneventful and brings you back with good news for us.

Google Page Rank 6 said...

Increase your Adsense Earnings

I noticed you have adsense ads on your page, Would you like to increase your earnings from them, Free and Legitimate way to make your clicks increase.
Come see my Blogger blog and it will tell you more.

Lana said...

Good luck navigating the 'kok. I imagine it'll be quite a shocker after Cambodia. I look forward to reading your impressions of the city/country.

Hope your friend fares well thru surgery.

Muktuk said...

Good luck!! This is very exciting. I want to hear all about it.

Do you ever take pictures on your journeys?

AvoidingBillableHours said...

Bangkok is a bit like Los Angeles - a concrete-urban-jungle-version of hell. Although the heat shouldn't be too oppressive this time of the year. Travel by boat as much as you can.

Christa said...

Sorry I'm a bit late, but Happy Birthday Scott! Hope you are doing well and that your friend is healing well after surgery.