Monday, December 20, 2004

FIVE YEARS

"Only two things will be different in your life five years from now -- the people you hang out with and the books you read."

-- unknown

Is that true?

I dunno. Let's see. Five years ago I was hanging out with a bunch of Japanese and reading, primarily, books about Japan -- history, philosophy, fiction.

Now my peers are Cambodians and people from everywhere but Japan (or Canada), and I'm reading a lot of history and a little bit of politics.

Maybe it's true.

In five years, things change. What's that weird fact -- that our body replaces itself every five years or so, regenerating new cells like Pampers generates diapers? (A bad comparison, but what the hell.) We are, literally, a new person. Why should our interests be the same?

(I think you can substitute 'the books you read' with the 'movies you watch' or the 'music you listen to' or the 'people you slaughter'. I mean, the 'people you like', not slaughter. That's, um, what I meant...)

Life shifts, moves, evolves.

So, how about it?

Is it true for you?


No comments: